0 of 100 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 100 Questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You answered 0 out of 0 questions correctly (0).
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Explanation and Answers for Questions 101-140
Explanation and Answers for Questions 141-152
Explanation and Answers for Questions 153-200
101. The report that you asked for _____ on your desk.CorrectIncorrect
102. The _____ executive always dresses suitably.CorrectIncorrect
103. You can find all the stationery you need _____ that case.CorrectIncorrect
104. Some notable pieces of information were _____ from the writing.CorrectIncorrect
105. If the traffic is really bad, we _____ the outing.CorrectIncorrect
106. You can usually depend on Mr. Tucker because he is one of our most _____ staff members.CorrectIncorrect
107. Ms. Liao eventually _____ a promotion, and she was overjoyed to get it.CorrectIncorrect
108. The building was in superb condition when we moved in since the previous _____ was very tidy.CorrectIncorrect
109. No one can leave _____ the project is done.CorrectIncorrect
110. Just go _____ that door and you will see the photocopier on the opposite side of the room.CorrectIncorrect
111. Although there were many qualified applicants for the position, we could _____ only one.CorrectIncorrect
112. In order to be _____ to the office, you must produce a valid ID.CorrectIncorrect
113. There’s a calculator on the table _____ the small shelf.CorrectIncorrect
114. It is somewhat terrifying riding this elevator as it _____ at such a quick rate.CorrectIncorrect
115. Remember to _____ your time card whenever you enter or leave the workplace.CorrectIncorrect
116. When payday _____ , all workers will be paid by bank transfer.CorrectIncorrect
117. Ms. Liddell was fired _____ she consistently turned up late and never completed her tasks on time.CorrectIncorrect
118. Our supervisor is very organized and tidy, and _____ that we make sure the office is well-kept.CorrectIncorrect
119. _____ Mr. Hicks is a very diligent employee and meets his deadlines every time, he still hasn’t been given a raise.CorrectIncorrect
120. She _____ a member of this firm ever since she first began working.CorrectIncorrect
121. The facade is in a poor state and will require _____ before we can start painting it.CorrectIncorrect
122. If we _____ during the long weekend, we would probably have finished the report by the due date.CorrectIncorrect
123. It is essential to have at least one advanced degree to be able to _____ in today’s labor market.CorrectIncorrect
124. As so few people showed _____ for the meeting, we made a decision to defer it to a later date.CorrectIncorrect
125. The store is right _____ the road from the train station.CorrectIncorrect
126. If you wish to talk to the manager, you should _____ an appointment with the secretary first.CorrectIncorrect
127. The _____ of our kitchen utensils is globally recognized.CorrectIncorrect
128. All personnel are expected _____ their work by 5 P.M. today.CorrectIncorrect
129. All expenses must be authorized _____ the head of department at the start of each week.CorrectIncorrect
130. The seminar will be held next Wednesday from 2 _____ 4 P.M.CorrectIncorrect
131. We _____ finalize the details of this work soon because the deadline is fast approaching.CorrectIncorrect
132. This _____ is very critical, so think it over thoroughly.CorrectIncorrect
133. _____ off the lights before you exit the room.CorrectIncorrect
134. The blue rug looks quite neat _____ that coffee table.CorrectIncorrect
135. The films that he suggested _____ not very entertaining.CorrectIncorrect
136. Mr. Helsley is not an especially engaging speaker, and a number of listeners fell asleep _____ his lecture.CorrectIncorrect
137. Our company is rapidly _____ and we are recruiting many new members of staff.CorrectIncorrect
138. The bridge _____ during yesterday’s heavy snowstorm.CorrectIncorrect
139. Those who lack _____ are rarely upset.CorrectIncorrect
140. Please do not inquire about our employees’ personal information, as it is kept _____ .CorrectIncorrect
Questions 141-143 refer to the following article.
The Anderson & Anderson Department Store has been hit hard by the ongoing recession. Sales have been _____ at an alarming rate. “Fewer and fewer customers are visiting the store,” explains Jeannie Keating, floor manager at Anderson & Anderson.CorrectIncorrect
Ms. Keating added that, adjusted for inflation, earnings during the last fiscal year were the lowest the store had ever experienced since it opened for business 40 years ago. She went on to say, “The worst part of it is that we have had to _____ many brilliant employees.”CorrectIncorrect
Job loss is becoming a more prevalent issue as the recession deepens, and applications for unemployment _____ are on the rise. Anderson & Anderson is just another in a growing list of local businesses that have been affected by the current economic crisis.CorrectIncorrect
Questions 144-146 refer to the following letter.
126 Tully Street
Russell Springs, KY 42642
Dear Ms. Huber,
This is to serve as a reference letter for Edward Carpenter, a former employee of Capers Ltd. Mr. Carpenter _____ for my firm for five years until he left to pursue a doctoral degree a year ago.CorrectIncorrect
Mr. Carpenter was a tremendous asset to my business. He constantly fulfilled his responsibilities in a methodical and meticulous manner. He was also highly _____ . We could always trust him to do what he promised to do.CorrectIncorrect
He was always keen to make the most of professional development opportunities and participated in a number of training workshops while employed by Capers. His positive attitude was also a fine addition to our workplace. I believe all his colleagues at Capers would agree that it was indeed a pleasure to work with _____ .
I favorably recommend Mr. Carpenter for the position he has applied for at your firm. Should you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Questions 147-149 refer to the following notice.
Customer satisfaction is our top priority. Should you be dissatisfied with your purchase in any way, you may return the merchandise to the store for a full _____ , no questions asked, provided that the following conditions are met:CorrectIncorrect
– The item is returned in resalable condition with its original packaging intact.
– The item is accompanied by the store receipt.
– The item is returned within 14 days of purchase.
For customers returning items after 14 days but within 28 days of purchase or without _____ original packaging, a credit note for use in our store will be issued instead.CorrectIncorrect
Please note that we cannot, under any circumstances, accept returns on items after 28 days of the purchase date or without a store receipt. Any questions or complaints concerning the return policy should _____ to the Customer Relations Office.CorrectIncorrect
Questions 150-152 refer to the following advertisement.
Autumnburn Center has numerous office spaces for rent. Autumnburn is _____ served by three bus lines and is situated just a block away from the metro station.CorrectIncorrect
Your clients who drive will need not worry about finding a parking space. Autumnburn has _____ parking for visitors.CorrectIncorrect
Moreover, tenant parking is available for a nominal monthly fee. Rents start at $1.25 per square foot, exclusive of utilities. One-year and longer-term leases are available. _____ this chance to locate your business in the city’s prime office complex. Call our leasing office today to book an appointment and find out why Autumnburn has become the city’s most coveted business location.CorrectIncorrect
Questions 153-156 refer to the following article.
Amicus, a financial planning business based in Castle Rock, has opened a branch office in downtown Zip City in the building owned by the Metroplex Realtors real estate firm. Amicus is taking over office space previously occupied by the law offices of Peter Hamilton. The space had been vacant for over two years. The new Amicus office was open for business as of yesterday. Sunny Silva, director of Amicus, says that her company selected the Zip City location because of an increasing demand for financial planning services in the area. “Zip City is a growing community,” she explained, “and the city’s citizens are becoming more affluent. It is just the kind of locality where services such as ours are needed.” Amicus closed its branch offices in Pony and Tumwater at the end of last month. It was determined that these towns are close enough to Castle Rock to be served by the head office there, Ms. Silva pointed out, but having an office in Zip City will facilitate extending services to the entire southern part of the state. The branch’s opening comes just a few weeks after the opening of the Cognizance Inc. stock brokerage at the Zip City Tower.
153. What kind of a business is Amicus?CorrectIncorrect
154. When did Amicus open its branch office in Zip City?CorrectIncorrect
155. Why did Amicus open a branch office in Zip City?CorrectIncorrect
156. The word “facilitate” in paragraph 1, line 10, is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
Questions 157-159 refer to the following article.
Anton Caldwell of Cedarworth recently won the Exemplary Person Medal for service to the local community. The award is presented annually at the Bank of Cedarworth to a bank employee who has shown good citizenship by contributing to the town in one way or another. The purpose is to promote community goodwill and celebrate bank employees’ contributions to the greater Cedarworth public. Caldwell, a teller at the Ivy Lane branch of the bank, received the honor from his bank colleagues. “Anton has continually given generously his time to community projects,” acknowledged his supervisor, Nancy Corry. “We thought it was high time that his contributions were recognized. We at the bank are all so delighted that he is this year’s winner.” This is the fourth year the award has been given. Last year the honor went to Kathleen Ishikawa, assistant to the bank’s CFO.
157. What did Mr. Caldwell get?CorrectIncorrect
158. Who gave it to him?CorrectIncorrect
159. How do people at the bank feel about it?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 160-163 refer to the following letter.
To the Editor:
I read with grave concern the article in your newspaper this afternoon about the plans of the Wiesen Machining and Fabrication to build a factory in this town. The project has received firm support from the town council, based on their belief that Wiesen will bring a considerable number of jobs to our area and improve the local economy. However, it seems that they are blind to the reality. Wiesen is well known for its groundbreaking manufacturing processes, which are principally automated. Due to this, very little manual labor is needed. Wiesen’s system typically requires highly-skilled technicians, who would surely come here from other places to work at the plant. There will be few, if any, jobs for locals. What do we get in return for this? An enormous, unsightly building that will necessitate the destruction of natural areas and release pollution into our land, river and air. The town council must approve Wiesen’s project before they begin construction of the facility. Wiesen’s executives, eager to break ground on the project as soon as next month, have urged the town council to move forward with their vote, and it will be held later this week rather than three weeks from now, as initially planned. This provides even less time for council members to develop an informed opinion. I strongly advise them not to bow to the pressure of Wiesen and to vote against the proposal.
160. Why did Mr. Godfrey write this letter?CorrectIncorrect
161. What kind of people generally works at Wiesen?CorrectIncorrect
162. When will the town council vote on the Wiesen project?CorrectIncorrect
163. The word “unsightly” in paragraph 1, line 8, is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
Questions 164-165 refer to the following advertisement.
Salt & Pepper
You work hard, and you deserve great food. Salt & Pepper provides everything from snacks to three-course meals for your seminars, workshops, office parties, functions, or any other business events. We offer free delivery to most downtown locations.
Make your choices from the menus on our Web site: www.saltandpepper.com. Our hospitality consultants can help you prepare for your next occasion and will clarify our pricing system. Just call 239-949-9853 or stop by our place during normal office hours.
164. What kind of business is advertised?CorrectIncorrect
165. What is available on the Web site?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 166-168 refer to the following advertisement.
Echo Co. is now looking for personnel for a variety of positions based in several locations. We offer fantastic opportunities for writers, illustrators, editors, and proofreaders. See below for a partial list of currently open positions.
Visit the Careers page on our Web site to learn more and to apply for any of these positions. To access a particular job posting, type the job number into the search box on the Careers page. Alternatively, you can browse through the list of available positions. When you find a position for which you are qualified, simply fill out the online application form. Your résumé may also be attached although recommendation letters are optional at this point. Please do not call the office regarding job application as all relevant information is already included on the Web site.
Content Writer—Job #787
Requires a year’s experience or proof of pertinent training.
Junior Illustrator—Job #564
Requires a degree in graphic, visual design, or an associated field. Previous experience preferred.
Proofreading Intern—Job #391
No previous experience required. Current university students welcome.
Senior Editor—Job #632
Requires a minimum of five years’ experience in a comparable position.
166. What kind of business is Echo Co. probably engaged in?CorrectIncorrect
167. How can someone apply for a job at Echo Co.?CorrectIncorrect
168. Which of the advertised jobs requires previous experience?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 169-170 refer to the following invoice.
49 Ray Court
Laurinburg, NC 28352
7 Coal Road
Charlotte, NC 28202
Flooring installation, 3 rooms: $670 Ceiling repair work: $420 Total due: $1,090 Previous account balance: $310 (Paid in full. Thank you!)
The work described herein comprises tasks fulfilled during the month of March. Please settle the whole amount by the end of next month.
Thank you for your business.
169. How much is due?CorrectIncorrect
170. When is it due?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 171-174 refer to the following instructions.
To prevent personal injury or property damage, always follow these basic safety instructions when using this product:
– Keep the product away from heaters and other sources of heat, and in a place with free air circulation.
– Do not make or receive calls while standing in or close to water or other liquids, such as a wet floor, bathtub, or swimming pool.
– Do not place furniture or other heavy objects on top of the power cord.
– Do not apply excessive pressure when dialing. This could cause permanent damage to the buttons.
– Disconnect the product from the power outlet before cleaning. Do not use abrasive or corrosive cleaners, and do not immerse the product in water or other liquids. Instead, completely and gently wipe with a damp cloth.
– Avoid using the product during a lightning storm.
– If maintenance work is required, contact the manufacturer at the phone number listed on the back cover of this instruction manual.
171. What kind of product are these instructions for?CorrectIncorrect
172. What should the customer do if repairs are needed?CorrectIncorrect
173. When should the product not be used?CorrectIncorrect
174. What do the instructions say about product cleaning?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 175-178 refer to the following article.
Michael Norton, CEO of the Emblem Financial Group, announced this evening that Cynthia Potter has been appointed as the bank’s new head of accounting. Ms. Potter has more than 15 years’ experience in the banking industry. After receiving her first degree, she worked for Frank Kaiser & Associates, a small accounting firm. She left the business after many years and began her career in banking as a teller at the Origin Bank. She gradually worked her way up to a position as branch manager at the Undergrove Drive branch of that organization. Three years ago, she left that job to pursue a master’s degree in accounting at Meriden University, which she finished last year. “She has been highly recommended by both her previous employers and her professors at the university,” says Mr. Norton. Ms. Potter will start working for Emblem early next month.
175. What was Ms. Potter’s most recent job?CorrectIncorrect
176. Where did Ms. Potter work as a teller?CorrectIncorrect
177. When did Ms. Potter complete her university degree?CorrectIncorrect
178. The word “previous” in paragraph 1, line 8, is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
Questions 179-180 refer to the following notice.
Owing to the public holiday, weekend parking regulations will be in use throughout the downtown area all day tomorrow. There will be no charge for on-street parking in places with parking meters; nonetheless, the public parking garages will not be open. Public transportation will follow the Sunday timetable, and off-peak fares and concession rates will be in effect for the whole day. Building construction around Freedom Avenue will be temporarily stopped, but the road will remain closed.
177. What will be free tomorrow?CorrectIncorrect
180. Why will this be free?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 181-185 refer to the following schedule and e-mail.
Business Owners’ Convention
Monday, January 21—Detroit, MI
Schedule of Presentations and Workshops
Time Place Event Speaker 8:00-8:30
Room 1: Laws for Businesses
Room 2: Best Practices for Recruiting
Room 1: Looking into the Future
Room 2: Successful Management
Room 1: Negotiating Contracts
Room 2: Tour of local businesses*
* Please meet in Room 2 before proceeding together to the parking lot, where a vehicle will be waiting.
To: Jesse Dolan
From: Nella Lynch
Subject: Meeting at convention
I will be flying to Detroit to attend the Business Owners’ Convention next Monday, and I understand you will be there as well. I would like to ask about the possibility of having a meeting sometime during the day for about 40 minutes. I believe we should take the opportunity to review the project in person. Please let me know what time would be suitable for you. I will be holding a workshop on laws for businesses, but otherwise I am flexible. Any time before 5 P.M. would work for me. I can’t stay after that because I’m driving to Ann Arbor later and don’t want to reach the city too late. A co-worker will be signing his book at a bookshop, and I want to be there. Anyway, I’m really looking forward to your presentation on negotiating contracts. I wouldn’t miss that for anything else. Maybe we could meet immediately thereafter. Please tell me what is best for you.
181. How will Ms. Lynch get to Detroit?CorrectIncorrect
182. What does Ms. Lynch want to discuss with Mr. Dolan?CorrectIncorrect
183. What time is Ms. Lynch NOT available to meet with Mr. Dolan?CorrectIncorrect
184. Where will Ms. Lynch probably be at 3 P.M.?CorrectIncorrect
185. What will Ms. Lynch do on Monday night?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 186-190 refer to the following letters.
Head of Purchasing
64 Marion Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46805
Dear Mr. Alonso,
I have learned that there is an opening for a purchasing specialist in the Purchasing Department, and my superior, Karolina Nowicka, advised that I write to you about applying for it. I have worked at Smartscape for five years now as a sales analyst in the Sales Department. I used to work for twelve months as a purchasing agent at a musical instrument store called Sonic Boutique. That is the only purchasing job experience I have, but I hold a degree in business administration, which I obtained a month ago. Now, I would like to work in a position in my field. Through my years working at Smartscape, I have become very familiar with the way this business functions, and I feel that I would have a lot to offer Smartscape’s Purchasing Department.
I am attaching my résumé and could also provide you with letters of recommendation from my university instructors. Thank you for your kind consideration. I look forward to working with you.
64 Marion Street
Fort Wayne, IN 46805
Dear Ms. Lambert,
Thank you for your letter expressing interest in applying for the post in the Purchasing Department. I have talked to Ms. Nowicka, who highly recommends you for the position. I have also shown your credentials to our senior purchasing managers, and I concur with them that you would be a great asset to our department. Unfortunately, the job you are interested in is not an entry-level one. We normally require no less than three times the amount of purchasing job experience that you have, at the very least, for that sort of role. Even though you appear to have a good reference from your previous employer, we think you are not yet fully qualified for the position. However, I expect that we will have a vacancy for a purchasing assistant, possibly as early as April. I will let you know as soon as it becomes available in case you might be interested in applying. I hope you will. In the meantime, please accept my best wishes for your further success.
Head of Purchasing
186. What job is Ms. Lambert interested in applying for?CorrectIncorrect
187. When did Ms. Lambert finish her degree in business administration?CorrectIncorrect
188. Who recommends Ms. Lambert for the job?CorrectIncorrect
189. How many years of experience are required for the job she wants?CorrectIncorrect
190. What will Mr. Alonso do?CorrectIncorrect
To: All staff members
From: David Lawrence, Human Resources Manager
Subject: Workplace safety workshop
Date: September 19
On October 6, a workshop on workplace safety will be held by Zara Hope of the Commission for Occupational Safety and Health. It will be run in Meeting Room D from 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. This workshop is required for all department managers and recommended for all personnel. Please let me know before September 30 if you plan to attend. Furthermore, please inform me if you cannot attend at this time but would like to do so in the future. If there is enough interest, we will have the workshop again at a later date. Lastly, as the end of the year is fast approaching, please allow me to take this opportunity to remind everyone that attendance at a minimum of four staff development activities per year is compulsory for everyone. A schedule of forthcoming events is posted on the main bulletin board.
To: David Lawrence
From: Chelsea Knight
Re: Workplace safety workshop
I would like to join next month’s workshop on workplace safety that was mentioned in the memo you sent out yesterday. Please add me to the list. After this event, I will have satisfied my attendance requirement for this year. In addition, I would like to offer my apologies in advance since I will probably arrive about 20 minutes late. I have to be at the city center early that morning for a meeting with a new client, but it shouldn’t go past 10:30 to 10:40 A.M., and then I can catch the bus back to the office. I hope my marginally late arrival won’t be an issue.
191. Who is required to attend the workshop?CorrectIncorrect
192. When did Ms. Knight write her e-mail message?CorrectIncorrect
193. What time will Ms. Knight probably arrive at the workshop?CorrectIncorrect
194. How many workshops has Ms. Knight already attended this year?CorrectIncorrect
195. Where will Ms. Knight’s meeting take place?CorrectIncorrect
Questions 196-200 refer to the following warranty notice and letter.
Notice of Warranty
Docusafe Vicious Blades Office Paper Shredder
Docusafe Corp. guarantees this product against defects for two years from the date of purchase. We will repair any manufacturing faults, or if we consider repair to be unfeasible, we will provide a replacement. This is applicable only when the product has not been improperly handled and has been used according to the operating instructions stated in the manual. Please note that the introduction into the product of any item other than paper, such as staples, paper clips, or pieces of plastic or food will void the warranty. Products showing signs of abuse are also not covered by the terms of this warranty.
When returning a product for repair, please do so in its original box, and enclose a copy of the purchase receipt and a copy of the warranty card. Charges will apply for any repairs outside the limits of this warranty.
8 Queens Road
Augusta, GA 30901
Dear Customer Service,
I was enthusiastic about my recent purchase of a Docusafe Vicious Blades Office Paper Shredder. Many confidential reports come through my office daily, so a dependable and tough paper shredder is a necessity for me. I selected this model after having read several excellent reviews of it online and in magazines. At first it certainly lived up to my expectations, shredding huge volumes of documents without a glitch. Two weeks ago, I even spilled a box of paper clips into it, but that didn’t seem to slow it down in any way. Then two days ago it totally stopped, and I could not get it going again. I must say I am not happy about this at all. I have owned this device only since the start of May. I would expect that something with such a good name would last a great deal longer. I am returning the machine herewith, wrapped up in a brand-new container. Copies of the receipt, detailing place and date of purchase, and the warranty card are also included. Could you please send me my refund as soon as possible? Thank you.
196. When did Mr. Parry buy his paper shredder?CorrectIncorrect
197. What does Mr. Parry shred in his paper shredder?CorrectIncorrect
198. How does Mr. Parry currently feel about the paper shredder?CorrectIncorrect
199. What did Mr. Parry neglect to include when returning the shredder?CorrectIncorrect
200. How will the customer service probably respond?CorrectIncorrect